Sexual Assault Info
- Get to a Safe Place
- Call REACH (1-800-871-7741), the police, a friend or relative. They can give you support.
- If you are considering making a report to the police, do not wash, douche, change clothes, go to the bathroom, or drink anything as evidence may be collected from your clothes and body that may be used to convict an assailant.
- Seek medical attention
for the treatment of internal or external injuries and the possibility
of sexually transmitted disease/infection (STD/STI) or pregnancy.
- Hospital emergency room personnel are trained to collect evidence that may lead to a conviction.
The collection of this evidence does not mean you must report the
assault. The adult victim has the right to make that decision.
- Consider reporting the incident to the police. An abuser seldom stops without intervention by the authorities.
- Talk about the sexual assault with someone you trust. Dealing with your feelings, though painful, can speed recovery.
- Do not blame yourself, its not your fault.
One East Main Street, Suite Two P.O. Box 300, S. Paris, ME 04281